Tuesday, June 8, 2010

E-Reader Poll Results Are In: iWonder Who Won?


Last month, I polled my readers to find out what e-reader they prefer. After all, if you're in the market for an e-reader, it's a big decision. Below are the results, and some commentary on matter:
Sony e-reader: 0%
I prefer paper: 10%
Other: 10%
Barnes & Noble Nook: 20%
Amazon Kindle: 30%
Apple iPad: 30%
In dead last, with 0%, was the Sony e-reader. (Coincidentally, I just sold my Sony PRS-500 on e-Bay last month). When it first came out, I was impressed, mainly because it was the first device of its kind. But in this competitive market, e-readers that require PC connectivity to receive content are not what people want- especially with the availability of WiFi and 3G wireless connectivity. The Sony line has yet to deliver in this category. Equally disappointing to me has been Sony's lack of Mac support. 10% of my readers actually prefer paper; it's not like paper will ever go away any time soon. The Barnes and Noble Nook received 20%. Tied for first place was the Apple iPad and the Amazon Kindle, splitting 60% between them. My two cents? If you are a serious bookworm and you don't care about apps, video, or other computer-like features, (for twice the price) then the Kindle 2 is for you; however, pay double, and you get an e-book reader, and then some-- like apps, multimedia-- you know the rest.
One final note: there is a lot of talk about readability (e-ink on the Kindle vs. the iPad's LED back-lit display). I have experience with both, and to me, it's a matter of personal preference. The Kindle has a sort of "screen flash" when you turn the page due to the e-ink reordering itself and can be annoying at times. Of course, since that's the only energy drain, battery life is significantly higher than the iPad, so it's a trade off. Readability on the iPad can also be a concern to some people for other reasons. If you don't like reading on a computer screen, you won't like reading on the iPad either. Though, keep in mind, the brightness can be adjusted, which may help if you are sensitive to bright whites on a computer screen. My advice: try before you buy. What do you prefer? Feel free to leave your comments on how you prefer to read content.

No comments: